photographed by McRey

CIE

Monday, December 3, 2007

A mother... A child... by:Kristina Ysabel P. Nacorda




One sunny morning, I decided to walk by the park. As I was
wandering, I saw a schoolmate of mine who dropped out
of school, sitting on a bench, I approached her because I saw
how lonesome she was. I asked her what happened and she
courageously told me
why she decided to
stop studying. She told
me this story...
"I was once a student
like you enjoying life to
the fullest. I spent all of
my time studying for the
reason that I wanted to
make my parents proud.
Fortunately, because
of determination and
passion, I became an
honor student. At home,
even though I wasn’t
really obliged to help in
the household chores, I’d
insist, for I always finish
my assignments in a short
span of time. Everything
seemed to be free from
flaws. All was perfectly
done. But one morning
at school, when I saw
this guy, I felt something
intense. I stared at him,
dazed. Since then, I started
lacking focus because I
couldn’t get him out of my
mind. The following day,
while I was eating lunch
with my companions
someone came up to me
and asked if we could talk.
I then became flustered
to see that it was he. He
introduced himself and
so did I. He told me that
he liked me. I’m not really
candid with my feelings
but because of jubilance, I was able to break the seal. Everything
changed in a snap. We became very close that we’d hang-out everyday.
Consequently, I lost perseverance in studying, I resulted to be a very
big disappointment." Then she paused for a little while. Tears
rolled down her face as she looked at me with a sheer emotion
of some kind, an emotion which seemed to be none other than
utmost disappointment and self-pity. I told her to not carry on
with her story if she feels very emotional about it. I said that it’d
be okay for her to lean on my shoulder and cry her feelings out.
But, she insisted on continuing, and so she did right after...
"After quite some time, he courted me and from that day
on, we were inseparable. Nothing made us happier than having
each other. He brought me to a restaurant and made me drink
something. The last thing I knew that day was that I felt very
numb and quite unconscious of reality. When I woke up, I
found myself lying in bed in a room. I don’t really know what
had happened, but then I saw him beside me still having his
deep slumber. I quickly jumped out of bed and came out of his
house. At that point,
I deeply regretted
having been able to
meet him. I should’ve
just listened to my
parents. I shouldn’t
have disobeyed them.
I should’ve thought
clearly of what might
happen. It’s too late!
That was all I could
say. Now I know that
having a boyfriend at
a young age is woeful
and that because of
my ignorance, nothing's
left of me. My dignity
had been crashed to its
finest. Everyday, I had
cried a river knowing
that my future won’t
be as I expect it to
be. My dreams were
shattered one by one
because now, I have a
child to care for. I am
now a mother of a little
boy younger than me
by just a mere 13 years.
My youth had just
ended in a blink of an
eye. It was that easy to
lose something that my
parents especially my
mother, made sure was
in perfect condition,
my life."
I was shocked with the
whole of her tale and
I couldn’t help myself
but cry. I really pitied her because she started to look at her life
in a miserable way. I told her to stop feeling sorry for herself but
to just strive hard to recover from a plane crash of her dreams.
We hugged a little while after, then we parted ways. I just hope
that whatever she engages herself in next, she would be more
careful and wiser in taking a very unsure step towards a dark
place leading nowhere but down an abyss of life’s intense
cruelty.
I learned something from her. I learned from her. I learned
that emotions can be our deepest, darkest temptation, and that
no matter what we do, if we do not learn to use our head more
often than our heart we could end up losing everything within
a millionth of time.

No comments: